Wednesday 5 May 2010

Bedroom Revolution Continued

I just added this as a comment but I thought I might upgrade it to a post because its worth saying in addition to what Pat has already said, and additionally, Pat is right. I'm very busy up ladders backstage at the moment, but still patiently waiting for Pat's next wordsplurge, so that I can pick it apart and throw it back in his aquiline face whilst shouting "Write it again Wordmonkey!", but in all honesty I think I see an end to this tale, once I finish getting married, buying a house, learning 12 backstage plots and whatever else life throws my way but, hey, its all as Unfit was meant to be, so read on!
I believe that there are other keys to the aesthetic which were there from the inception. Of course, work commitments and geography are having an effect on our work practice but originally the key constraint was equipment. Working with small computers and simple programs led to the idea of working lossy, Make do and mend, and also, work compact and portable. So that has been carried over into this comic project. I don't have a lot of space, so I work on A4 to draw and blow that up for painting. I use water colours instead of painting digitally to allow texture and accidents to creep in. And I also take chances with the work, sometimes coming close to destroying it and having to repaint over sections. But through this I have been able to come up with more efficient methods of painting, and have been able to play with lighting in the scenes. Mistakes for instance led to using tippex pens directly to add highlights that could then be coloured in the garage scenes. I think that this approach has run throughout the work and has led to trying things out, rewriting and reworking things and ultimately, streamlining the story. Whether this will lead to better work practice in future stories, or will only lead to more ways to rework and utilise happy accidents remains to be seen. But the ultimate philosophy of Unfit means that it doesn't matter. And that is that this is our story, our world, our characters, and our way of producing it, without deadlines and time constraints, simply for our own enjoyment, and this is what I really think Pat means when he talks of a bedroom revolution. So why not create your own story instead of reading one, or in fact watching a badly translated film of one? Its much more challenging,lots of fun, and ultimately more fulfilling!
PW.

1 comment:

  1. OPERATE LOSSY! RIG IT UP! BUST THE RIG! MAKE IT RUGGED! UNFIT! UNFIT! UNFIT!

    P.S. I'm surprised that a humble ladder gimp can bust out words like 'aquiline'. Kudos.

    Pat x

    ReplyDelete